What is Lightning Repower?
Lightning Repower refers to replacing the powertrain in an existing gasoline- or diesel-fueled fleet vehicle with the Lightning Electric zero emission powertrain.
Vehicles are repowered to all-electric by removing the engine, transmission, exhaust system and fuel tank and replacing those with a high-power electric motor, transmission, batteries and electric accessories (power steering, air condition, heaters, etc.). The electric motor and transmission are configured similarly to the conventional drivetrain by propelling the vehicle through its driveshaft.
Auxiliary components are replaced to ensure all vehicle functionality is maintained (brakes, power steering, climate control, etc.) and batteries are mounted inside or underneath the vehicle with framework and covered with compliant shrouding.
Lightning Repower is ideal for fleet owners who are looking to:
- Add new life to vehicles in need of a new powertrain
- Decrease fleet operating costs
- Update safety and drivability
- Meet looming ZEV mandates or sustainability goals
- Save on the cost of a new zero emission vehicle
- Put zero emissions vehicles on the road quicker than buying new units