Lead Platform Engineer
A systems-level engineering job… only in this case, the “system” is an electric commercial vehicle!
- Bachelor’s (Required)
Full Job Description
Lead Platform Engineer – fast growing company!
It is an exciting time at Lightning eMotors, a fast growing company that designs and manufactures zero emission all-electric powertrains for commercial vehicles. We are seeking a talented Lead Platform Engineer to join our team of outstanding professionals at our Loveland, Colorado headquarters. Our products are meticulously and intelligently designed to deliver value to our customers and you will be an integral part of the process. This is your opportunity to work with like-minded, passionate, technical professionals dedicated to making a difference in the world. We are a growing team of talented individuals who are accustomed to wearing multiple hats, working collaboratively, and comfortable expressing ideas to a receptive management team.
Why join Lightning?
2021 will be a very exciting year for us as we will be going public. We are the leading innovator in the US commercial medium-duty EV market with proprietary vehicle control software, EV chassis integration software and analytics, along with custom products including DCFC mobile charging stations and a host of commercial EV focused IP. We are THE market share leader in Class 3-7 zero emission vehicles and the only manufacturer with a full line of battery and fuel cell zero emission commercial vehicles on the road with blue chip customers. The company has contracted a significant backlog for the next 2 years including the world’s first fuel cell electric Class 6 truck. As the country’s largest commercial zero emission fleet vehicle manufacturing facility in the US with annual production capacity of 1000 vehicles today, expanding to 3000 in 2021 and over 20,000 by 2025.
With 10 years in R&D, Lightning is ahead of the game with our dominant market positioning, proprietary technology, and highly experienced management team.
Please visit www.lightningemotors.com to learn more!
About the position:
The Lead Platform Engineer participates in the design, implementation, maintenance, and evolution of electric vehicle systems. You enjoy exploring and brainstorming new product features to help operate systems more effectively, working to improve engineering quality and operational excellence for the whole team, and developing strategies to increase customer satisfaction while working to reduce costs and labor.
Reporting to the Director of Engineering, the successful candidate in this critical role will be responsible for bridging the gap between software, hardware, testing, and customer management teams so that all teams may execute effectively and efficiently.
Snapshot of key accountabilities:
- Work with Mechanical and Controls teams to manage on time release of platform product development
- Work with Data Analytics team to understand and improve vehicle performance
- Incorporate field reliability and customer feedback from the Customer Operations team and Technical Account Managers into product roadmap
- Generate high-level system and component design specifications and objectives
- Implement cost reduction and labor reduction strategies
- Track engineering related KPIs for specific platform (including uptime, reliability, cost, assembly time, etc)
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering (Mechanical, Mechatronics, Controls, Electrical or similar)
- 5 or more years of experience as a Lead Project Engineer, Controls/Systems Engineer, Design Engineer, or similar role
- Ability to generate system boundary diagrams and DFMEAs
- Experience with writing component and system specifications to meet high level objectives
- Experience in turning customer expectations into engineering requirements
- Experience managing project timelines and budgets
- Ability to read and interpret electrical schematics
- Ability to read and interpret control logic diagrams
- Knowledge and practical application of 3D CAD systems (PTC Creo preferred)
- Experience with writing control logic in Simulink, LabVIEW, Raptor, and/or Motohawk
- Experience with CAN bus diagnostics and data logging with CANalyzer, PCAN and/or Kvaser
- Experience with high-voltage DC systems, particularly in PHEV, EV, or FCEV applications
- Understanding of basic EV system architecture and components
- Strong verbal and written communication, interpersonal and organizational skills
- Strong analytic and problem solving skills and ability to collect, organize, analyze, and report on data with attention to detail and accuracy
- Self-starter, able to start and complete projects quickly and independently
- Experience building strong partnerships with other employees
- Experience leading and motivating cross-functional teams
- Experience working in fast paced and dynamic environment
- Ability to influence the business at all levels of the organization
- Ability to prioritize and execute work among competing priorities
Physical demands and abilities
- Ability to lift 30-50 pounds
- Regularly perform repetitive tasks, including prolonged periods at a desk
- Must be able to bend, stoop, squat, crouch, climb, kneel, and twist.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus
Once hired, employees are offered generous benefits package including:
- Medical, Dental, Vision insurance
- Health Savings Account and Health Reimbursement Plan (if enrolled in medical plan)
- Paid Time Off (accrued)
- Paid holidays
- Short and Long-term disability
- Life insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- 85,000 – 105,000
Additional hiring information:
Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without the need for employer sponsorship, now or at any time in the future.
Applicants may be subject to pre-employment screening which may include drug screening, reference checks, employment verifications, background screening and/or skills assessments.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $85,000.00 – $105,000.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- Monday to Friday
- Bachelor’s (Required)
- project, controls/systems, or design engineering: 5 years (Preferred)
- generating system boundary diagrams and DFMEA’s: 5 years (Preferred)
- managing project timelines and budgets: 5 years (Preferred)
- One location
Visa Sponsorship Potentially Available:
- No: Not providing sponsorship for this job
- Remote interview process
- Personal protective equipment provided or required
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place
|Salary||$85000 - $105000 Per Year|